Frequently Asked Questions
About the Company
- When I know I won't be using my airplane ticket, what can I do?
- What is changeyourflight.com?
- Is ChangeYourFlight available with any airline?
- How does ChangeYourFlight work?
- I’ve got a return ticket, can I ask for a refund for only one way?
- What if the booking is for more than one person?
- What are the basic conditions I need to know?
- How much does it cost?
- So, how do you make money?
- Will my Request always get accepted?
- How long will the Refund Request process take?
- What's the best way to contact CYF?
About your Ticket (step 1)
Your Refund Requests (step 2)
- How much can I get?
- How much should I request? Can I request any amount I like?
- How do I get my Request to be accepted?
- What are the refund suggestions based on?
- What is probability?
- Is there a 100% guaranteed refund amount?
- What does notice time mean exactly?
- What happens when I confirm my Refund Request?
- How do I know if my request has been accepted?
- How long does it take to receive the Request approval?
- I still haven't received my Refund Request approval. What do I do?
- How can I modify or cancel my refund Request?
- What if I cancel my refund Request before getting the voucher?
Your Voucher (step 3)
Flight Cancellations & Unexpected events
Privacy & Email
- Which information do I have to provide? Are my booking details the only pieces of information I have to provide?
- When uploading my flight details is my privacy guaranteed?
- Do I have to give the same email as the one I used when buying the ticket? What will you use my email for?
- What happens if I didn't receive my confirmation email?
Questions & Answers
How did ChangeYourFlight begin?
ChangeYourFlight (CYF) was born out of a personal experience brought up in a bar. Too many times we had experienced the frustration of having plane tickets that we couldn't use. Asking ourselves why there wasn't a solution that would benefit both passengers and airlines, this time we went from talking to doing.
What is ChangeYourFlight's goal?
We aim at providing an innovative solution that addresses the no-show phenomenon (ticket-holders who do not show up at the boarding gate) and particularly helps the ones who know in advance they would let their tickets go to waste.
Is ChangeYourFlight an independent company?
Yes! ChangeYourFlight is a 3rd party service that works independently collaborating with partner airlines. In other words, we are not part of any airline, but we work closely with the innovative ones to offer users a new service for free.
When I know I won't be using my airline ticket, what can I do?Usually you have the following two options:
- Option 1: rebooking (change of date, route or name) upon payment of applicable fee, unless you have a special flexible fare.
- Option 2: claiming a refund, if you took out an insurance and you meet its terms and conditions.
If none of the above options is convenient or suitable for you, you now have an alternative solution: ChangeYourFlight!
What is changeyourflight.com?
Changeyourflight.com is the first online platform that allows you to make
requests for partial refunds of plane tickets you know you are not going to
It's free of charge and available to all passengers.
If you change your mind, we can change your flight!
Is ChangeYourFlight available with any airline?
We're working on it! So far, we have partnered with the most innovative airlines, although we plan on serving many more. You can make a difference by selecting the airlines you would like us to work with in Our partners. Get your friends to support your choice by pushing it to Facebook and Twitter!
How does ChangeYourFlight work?
It's a simple 3-step process:
1. Enter your booking details exactly as you find them in the booking confirmation you received from the airline (pay attention to spelling, capital letters, spaces & accents).
2. Choose the flight you won't use, view the suggestions and set your amount
We will then pass your request on to the airline, aggregating it with many other requests and interacting automatically with the airline's booking system.
You'll receive a request status confirmation and, if your request is accepted, a voucher!
Remember that you can cancel or modify your request at any time with a simple click by going to My Requests.
You can also check out our Video Tutorials.
I’ve got a return ticket, can I ask for a refund for only one way?
Yes, you can make a request for either flights or both.
What if the booking is for more than one person?
With bookings for multiple passengers you have 3 options:
- Process the entire booking, thus asking for a refund for all flights for all passengers. If successful, the entire booking will be cancelled for all passengers, the total amount will be evenly split among all passengers and each passenger will get a unique voucher in his or her name;
- Process by flight, thus making a request for the same single leg (outbound or inbound) for all passengers. If successful, the selected flight will be cancelled for all passengers, the total amount will be evenly split among all passengers and each passenger will get a unique voucher in his or her name;
To submit your request you’ll have to enter the name of the first passenger listed in your multipassenger booking confirmation. Then choose the type of refund you want and proceed.
You can also check out our video tutorial: How to Make a Multipassenger Request.
What are the basic conditions I need to know?
You can use changeyourflight.com:
- Up until three hours prior to departure
- With our partner airlines
How much does it cost?
Nothing! It's completely free for the end user.
So how do you make money?
We share with the airlines the profits generated by selling additional seats.
Will my Request always get accepted?
There is no guarantee that your request will be accepted.
While some requests get immediate attention from the airlines, others may not look attractive depending on many factors (destination, time until departure etc.).
Ultimately, the decision lies with the airline. However, the platform automatically creates optimal refund suggestions that are designed to help you make reasonable requests.
How long will the refund Request process take?
Airline approval depends on a set of factors, ones that we can't control, such as: time until departure, flight occupancy, selling price, etc… This is why your waiting time may vary. The automated suggestions provided will give you an estimated notice time for each request amount.
What's the best way to contact ChangeYourFlight?
To get in touch with us please go to our Contact us page and we'll get back to you as soon as possible.
Where do I find the booking details?
You can find the details in the booking confirmation or itinerary summary that the airline or travel agency sent you right after making your reservation.
What if I bought my ticket in a travel agency?
No problem! The only difference is that ChangeYourFlight can't identify the agency fees you were charged. Therefore, the ticket price indicated may slightly differ in relation to the total amount paid. Be aware there might be some restrictions in function of your booking. For further details see section Service Basics.
What if I didn't buy my ticket myself?
As long as you have the following booking details at hand, you can always make a request:
- Booking code (sometimes also called PNR)
- Name and surname of the passenger (remember that the voucher is nominal)
- Contact email address (to notify all relevant parties)
I bought my flight using a voucher, can I get a refund anyway?
Not at this stage unfortunately. We hope to include this option soon.
What happens physically to my ticket after I request a Refund?
When a request gets accepted, the airline is free to resell the initial ticket, which means it will automatically be annulled and invalid. Until then, the ticket remains fully in your normal ownership.
How much can I get?
The full booking price consists of the ticket's fare, taxes and other charges. Only the fare and the taxes are refundable. Fur further information, take a look at our video on Help step 2.
How much should I request? Can I request any amount I like?
It's always up to you, but some requests are more probable than others.
You will be given automated amount suggestions to assist you and guide you on every request you make. These suggestions automatically estimate the probability of your request being accepted and the expected time of notice from the airline.
This way you can make a well-informed personal choice by picking a suggestion you like or simply set up your own amount.
Take a look at our video Help step 2 for more info.
How do I get my request to be accepted?
It depends on how appealing your request is to the airline. The earlier you place your request and the lower the request amount, the greater the chances of receiving a refund.
What are the Refund suggestions based on?
ChangeYourFlight has an automated “engine” that evaluates a range of factors (the itinerary, the current market price, the time left until departure and the refund amount requested) and mathematically generates the refund suggestions in real time.
What is probability?
Probability indicates the likelihood of your request being accepted and it depends on a series of factors: itinerary, current market price, time left until departure and requested amount.
Is there a 100% guaranteed refund amount?
No option is 100% guaranteed. However, the sooner you request a refund and the lower the amount, the more likely it is that the airline accepts it.
What does notice time mean exactly?
Notice time is the time by which your request should be authorized. If your request has not been accepted within this period, it is unlikely that it will be accepted later on.
What happens when I confirm my Refund Request?
Once you confirm a request, you'll receive a confirmation email.
From then on, ChangeYourFlight aggregates your request with many others, interacts directly with the airline and works non-stop to obtain your refund.
Don't forget that you can modify or cancel your request at any time by going to My Requests.
How do I know if my request has been accepted?
In addition to the email you'll receive regarding the outcome of your request, you can go to My Requests and check its status. Until then, kick-back, relax and leave the rest to us.
How long does it take to receive the Request approval?
As soon as the airline approves your Request, ChangeYourFlight will send you an email. You should be notified within the notice time for approval indicated in your Request details.
I still haven't received my refund Request approval. What do I do?
How can I modify or cancel my refund Request?
What if I cancel my refund Request before getting the voucher?
Your initial ticket is still valid and you can fly. A safe process has been established in order to ensure that the airline doesn't cancel your ticket until your request has been accepted and you have been properly informed.
What conditions apply to the voucher?
The following conditions apply to the voucher:
- the voucher is valid for 6 months from the day it is issued
- it can only be used in the name of the passenger
- it can only be used on the website of the same airline that issued the original ticket
- vouchers can't be accumulated
Is it valid for any airline?
It's valid for the respective airline from which you received your Refund.
From when is the voucher valid?
From the day ChangeYourFlight sends you the voucher code via email.
For how long is the voucher valid?
The voucher is valid for six months from the day you received your confirmation email from ChangeYourFlight.
If the airline doesn't accept my Request can I keep flying?
Sure! If your request is not accepted, your initial booking is still valid.
Can I accumulate multiple vouchers or pass them onto someone else?
Every airline has its own specific vouchers and they can't be accumulated or transferred.
Why don't you give refunds in cash?
We're working on it. That may be a possibility in the future.
How and where can I use the voucher code?
You can use it on the airline's website and/or call center. Refer to your airline's website for more information.
Can I return the voucher and recuperate my original ticket?
No. Once the airline has accepted your request there is no going back.
What happens if there's a natural disaster or an unforeseen event that causes my flight to be cancelled?
ChangeYourFlight isn't specifically designed to deal with these situations,
as they are usually solved by the airlines themselves.
Please consult directly with your airline.
What happens if my Refund Request is accepted and then my flight gets cancelled or rescheduled?
Once your request is accepted your booking is automatically cancelled. Thus, any further occurrences (such as flight cancellation or flight rescheduling) do not affect you in any way.
Which information do I have to provide? Are my booking details the only pieces of information I have to provide?
Yes, your booking details are the very minimum we need to identify the passenger and the itinerary. No registration is required. No bank or credit card information needed.
When uploading my flight details is my privacy guaranteed?
All information provided by and personally related to the passenger is securely gathered. That information is never shared with third parties and is never to be used for spam.
Do I have to give the same email as the one I used when buying the ticket? What will you use my email for?
You can give any contact email you like. It is necessary only for us to contact you regarding your request.
What happens if I don't receive my confirmation email?
There must have been an error. Check your spam inbox and/or Contact us.
I get promotional emails from CYF I don't want. How can I unsubscribe?
What happens if I try to catch my flight after getting a voucher with you?
When you get the Refund approval email, your original booking is cancelled and isn't valid for travel anymore. You would be denied boarding.
I have a question you haven't answered here, what do I do?